Socket Weld Flanges
Socket welding flange, a popular type of pipe flange, was initially developed for use on small-sized high- pressure piping. The fabrication of this type of flange is similar to that of a slip-on flange. However, the internal pocket of a socket weld flange allows for a smooth bore and better fluid flow. When provided with an internal weld, the static strength of this flange is equal to slip-on flange, but the fatigue strength is 50% greater than double welding slip-on flanges.
Smooth bore conditions in such a flange can easily be attained without having to bevel the flange face and, after welding, to reface the socket weld flange as would be required with slip-on flanges. For this reason, the internally welded flange is popular in chemical process piping.
- Alloy steel
- Carbon steel
- Stainless steel
- Cast iron
- Bronze etc.
Uses of socket weld flanges:
- The recess on the inside diameter of the socket weld flange
allows for a good fit of the pipe allowing for a smooth flow of
- Socket welding flanges work well for smaller sizes and higher
pressure temperature conditions.
- They are similar to slip-on flanges, but must specify the
schedule of the pipe where they will be used for with socket welds.
- They are ideal for small diameter applications.
- They are used for high pressure applications.
- Socket weld flanges have an internal recess on the inside
diameter which allow for a smoot flow of the process fluid.
- They create a smooth bore with the proper welding and grinding.
The points mentioned below will be a guide for the buyers: