Safety tips for pipe fittings
As pipe fittings are used in various applications involving slurries, gas, liquid, corrosive substances, mud, chemicals etc., it is essential to follow certain safety tips for proper functioning of these fittings when fitted to various pies. According to an article published recently, some safety tips that can be followed are as follows:
- Fumes are present in solvent chemicals used for joining PVC
and other solvent welded pipe and fittings. So it is advisable
to use plenty of ventilation when using them.
- When fixing a fitting to a pipe by flame or welding , always
use a flame shield to keep the propane flame from setting fire
to the neighboring areas.
- Always wear safety glasses or goggles, when soldering pipe
fitting to a joint above your head. It is better to use
lead-free solder on water lines .
- Try to install flexible pipe fittings to avoid gas or water
leaks in unforeseen calamities as flexible pipe fittings are
less likely to break.
- It is advisable not to install, tighten or loosen a pipe
or any component while the system is under any kind of pressure.
- Never try to loosen a pipe fitting to relieve or bleed system
- Always use a back-up wrench to hold the any pipe fitting body
steady when tightening or loosening nuts and bolts.
- Proper thread lubricants and sealants should be used on
tapered pipe threads.
- It is to noted that pipe fitting and pipe material should be
similar (stainless steel fittings on stainless steel tubing or
pipe etc.) with the tubing material being fully annealed.
- * Never weld tube assembled fittings. Before welding, remove
all components like nut, ferrules, bolts, o-ring, seals etc. Try
to protect the thread areas and the sealing of the pipe fitting
by covering with a plug or another nut.
The points mentioned below will be a guide for the buyers: