Recycling Brass Pipe Fittings
Brass pipe fittings are much more expensive than its equivalents. Some times it may cost ten times more than the plastic or steel fittings. So before you make a decision to replace your old pipe fittings, just think once. Something that can be done to recycle your cruddy and tarnished fittings. A little scrubbing and soaking can make these fittings good as new. With right tools and chemicals, you can save enough time, money and efforts.
- Soak a tarnished fitting in a cup filled with white vinegar. Add a tablespoon salt and adequate amount of water to cover the
affected area. Leave the fitting in the solution for few hours. Remove the part and scrub the affected area using steel wool or
abrasive pad. You can also use commercially available brass cleaners for the job.
- Use wire brush to scrub male and female thread. Carefully remove the thread thread seal tape or compound. A 4-in-1 tool,
available at most plumbing stores will be your perfect plumbing
partner for the project.
- Clamp the fittings into a vice or hold it tightly with the
pair of locking pliers to remove hose ends. Soak the fitting in
acetone, then scrub gently with coarse abrasive pad. It's
advisable to wear rubber gloves while using acetone.
- Replace the nut on the fitting for leak proof joint.
Replacing the ferrule nut would just cost much lower than
replacing the whole fitting. You may have visit specialty
plumbing store to find one, but its worth the effort.
- Using the propane torch pull apart the soldered connection.
Apply heat to the fitting only or soldered connection not to the
pipe. If there is a rubber valve, remove it first as excessive
heating will damage the valve causing leak in the pipeline.
- Polish the soldered areas with
the help of wire brush while the fitting is hot. While you may
not be able to make up for all the solders, still you should be
able to reuse the fitting.
Brass is softer than most of the metals, and tends to damage
easily. So, handle the fittings gently with much required care.
The points mentioned below will be a guide for the buyers: